December 5, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole- Gluten, Dairy & Sugar-Free





















One of my families favorite recipe is my mother's sweet potato casserole. This past Thanksgiving I was determined to remake her recipe to be gluten-free without sugar. It was a challenge, because her recipe has a lot of flour and sugar. I tried and it just wasn't what I remembered. Since I didn't have more time to keep working on it , I gave up (at least for now).

This is the recipe that I created in it's place. I'm very pleased with the taste. My boys liked it so much that it was all eaten by bedtime on Thanksgiving. I'm sure they will ask for it again very soon, because it was wonderful. This was voted their favorite dish for Thanksgiving 2008!




Sweet Potato Casserole - Gluten, Dairy and Sugar-Free

2 pounds sweet potatoes ( 3 cups mashed) (I used 4 large)
1/6 cup agave nectar or honey
7 drops of stevia liquid
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons "butter," melted (Earth Balance Buttery Sticks), or coconut oil
1/2 cup light coconut milk, or almond milk, or other non-dairy substitute

Topping:
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
2 Tablespoons agave nectar, or honey
4 Tablespoons "butter," melted (Earth Balance Buttery Sticks), or melted coconut oil
1/2 cups gluten-free flour (like Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour), or a combination of tapioca starch and coconut flour

Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes. Place the sweet potatoes, still in their jackets, in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil and cover with a lid. Turn down the heat, but keep them on a low boil until they are tender.

Cool and remove the peel and mash with a potato masher. Stir in the agave nectar/honey, stevia, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, coconut or almond milk  and 4 tablespoons melted non-dairy "butter" and combine with the mashed sweet potatoes until well mixed. Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish.

Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and put on top of the sweet potato mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes until bubbly around the edges.

My updated grain-free recipe remake can be found here.

8 comments:

  1. Hehehe... I'm her son (The one who ate 4/5 of the dish for thanksgiving) And If you can't already tell, I love this stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 10 o'clock at night and I'm not even hungry, but you just gave me a craving for sweet potato casserole. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe, I am going to make it for our Thanksgiving dinner 2012. Looking forward to this. D~ in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous - I just made mine for Thanksgiving 2012, too! Hope you enjoy it! Best wishes for a lovely Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. So delicious. I think I need to make this one today.
    it's healthy and I bet the family will love this.

    ~N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy - I hope you like it as much as my family does.

      Delete
  5. I am on dairy free,, sugar free,, and gluten free per my doctor so I'm excited and going to make this for Thanksgiving this year 2013. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn -
      I hope you enjoy this dish for your Thanksgiving! My boys still request this as it is their favorite. I wanted to mention if you are needing to be sugar free agave nectar may cause a problem for you. I replace it with raw honey now after I learned more about agave nectar. Just wanted to share that with you. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete

I am made richer by your being here. Please leave us a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin